Saturday 28 January 2012

Tarap -- the Borneo exclusive fruit...


This is how a tarap looks like.... ugly looking


The whites are the flesh of tarap, each flesh has a seed within it...

Now, let me introduce you to this special fruit which is available only in Borneo island. I've tried searching for this fruit in Peninsular Msia and asked around friends who are from "kampung" if this fruit is available and none of them know about this. Plus, Wikipedia also can't find this fruit too..... but if you google it, you can find it...

Tarap is similar to jackfruit (nangka) and cempedak, I believe they are of the same genre. This exotic fruit skin is spiky (like army hair), green or sometimes yellowish in color. Grows on a tall tarap tree. It is a very delicate fruit. Once it is dropped on the ground, it turn bad easily.

Oh, by the way. To open it, no equipment required. Just use your hands and tear the skin apart, not much effort required. Unlike nangka and cempedak, it doesn't have the sticky juice.

Tarap taste is very unique. It is like the durian concept, you will either love it or hate it. The flesh are extremely sweet, sweet like honey. And the texture is soft.

My parents told me this fruit is good for our kidney apparently.... it helps to clean our kidney... well...if you eat a lot, your urine smells too... hahahahaha... it flushes out the bad stuff from your kidney I supposed...

I love it..... and lucky me, my dad's orchard has these fruits.. I gotta eat these for free  >,<

2 comments:

  1. It is really ugly looking, how can it taste good!!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durian looks ugly too.. But it is the king of fruits.. By the way, the uglier the fruit is, the more nutririous it is...

    ReplyDelete